‘Wilcrick’ is a welsh name which translates as ‘bare hill’ – the hill referred to is now tree clad and is the location of an iron age fort from where extensive views down the Severn Estuary are afforded; essential for an early warning of Irish invasion up the estuary. The tiny church of St Mary the Virgin, is located on the lower slope of the hill and once served a much larger settlement abandoned during the middle ages in common with several other locations in the local area.
The church has its points of interest and its curiosities – it is necessary to present the key to the south door ‘upside-down’ to gain entry! The church was entirely rebuilt in 1860, but it retains a vase like 12th century font, a tablet to an 18thcentury rector who ministered here for an incredible 57 years, late 17th or early 18th century altar rails and a bell of 1726 cast by the Evans foundry of Chepstow.
The Victorian glass within the east window features the four evangelists. Also look out for a stone seemingly randomly located within the east wall, bearing the date 1621, as well as the pedestal sundial. The church has recently been redecorated and is much loved by a small, but committed congregation.