1st Sunday – 9am – Holy Eucharist
3rd Sunday – 11am – Holy Eucharist
We gather fortnightly (1st & 3rd Sundays of the month) to worship God together in word and song, to hear from his Word and to share at God’s table in the Holy Eucharist.
Dedicated to St. Thomas the Apostle since 1875, this church was previously St. Mary the Virgin and before that St. Michael the Archangel. However, St Thomas must have been an original patron saint as the inscription on the beautiful church chalice of 1576 makes clear. This is a large church for such a small village and has many points of interest. The building dates from the 13th and 15thcenturies and was sensitively restored by John Norton, architect, in 1875, when the west wall was rebuilt and a large west window inserted. Look out for the 13th century font, the unusual baptistery, the remains of a medieval rood screen and loft, the carving of a green man, the mass dials scratched into the buttress of the porch and two flood marks, indicating the height reached by the great flood of 1606/07. The church has been lovingly restored in recent years and amongst many projects have been the installation of the Victorian pipe organ and the restoration of the bells.
This included the re-casting of two of the original bells which were cracked and all were rehung in a new steel frame and fittings in 1994. The enthusiasm of the ringers led to a treble bell being added to make a ring of six. Bells 4 and 5 date from between 1350 – 1380 and are possibly the oldest bells hung for full circle ringing in Wales, if not the U.K. Redwick church was one of very few in this part of the country to suffer bomb damage during World War II when the roof was damaged and windows were blown out.